Small business makes the world go around – it’s the heart of the global economy. At Xero we want millions of small businesses to thrive through beautiful software, advice and connections. We aim to make being a small business more efficient and profitable, and more enjoyable too.
At Xero we are all about people and building beautiful experiences for our customers. Working at Xero will provide you with a diverse and inclusive environment alongside people who will respect, challenge, support and mentor you to have fun while you do the best work of your life.
About The Role
Your role can be summarised by ‘you do what is needed for the team to succeed’. You will be responsible for supporting your reports to become awesome Xeros. You’ll work with the Product Owner, Designers, BAs and Agile Team Facilitator in the team to make sure that your team has a set of clear goals and responsibilities, and that any blockers for delivery are cleared in a timely fashion. You’ll also work alongside your Development Manager and fellow Team Leads to drive cross-pod initiatives to enable the success of the group as a whole.
- Drive a culture of engagement and improvement, making sure the team understands how they help our customers and our business achieve great outcomes.
- Make sure your team understands and adheres to modern engineering practice in line with organisation objectives.
- Build and maintain a positive and constructive relationship with the product owner and others to ensure the delivery pipeline is flowing at a predictable and sustainable pace, raising and addressing blockers as appropriate.
- Ensure the health of your team is monitored, that all members of your team are empowered to raise ideas and concerns, and that everyone contributes to improvements in how the team works together.
- Meet regularly with your reports, drive each of your people to become the most high performing version of themselves they can be, using a variety of techniques which may include performance feedback, career development, coaching and mentoring.
- Spend a proportion of your time on people-focused tasks, including recruitment, leave and expense approvals and management.
- As needed, review and manage performance, remuneration and facilitate any remedial actions.
- In addition to the people-focused tasks above, you will also continue to contribute to your team’s goal of delivering robust, high quality software, including, but not limited to;
- contribute to analysis, design, specifications and/or user stories
- identify and resolve issues raised throughout the development cycle
- champion and perform development and/or test activities (manual and/or automation) during all parts of a project from planning through to releasing to production, in alignment with guidelines and standards
About The Team
The Firefly team love building easy-to-use and reliable apps for business owners, bookkeepers and accountants so that they can focus on what they do best, i.e. running businesses. We use data, design, and technology to help small businesses prepare and file tax returns in a dependable and enjoyable manner. We’re a small and diverse team that are trailblazers in the use of technology within Xero; and we have a reputation for shipping.
You will be an excellent people manager who has worked in a similar Development Team Leader role. You will be an expert in the Agile Methodology with significant experience of delivering projects using the Agile delivery process.
You will have a passion for helping people fulfil their potential, provide mentorship and have the ability and willingness to impart knowledge and guidance to your team members through excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Passion for helping people fulfill their potential
- Coaching and mentorship
- Prior leadership experience preferred
- Understanding of modern software delivery practices
- Understanding of modern product delivery practices
Working at Xero will provide you with a diverse and inclusive environment alongside people who will respect, challenge, support and mentor you to have fun while you do the best work of your life. We are a place where personal development, innovation, and change are not only inspired but also celebrated. We value our people and want them to enjoy and take pride in their work .