Business Unit: Civil Business Unit - Urban Development
Reports to: Senior Civil Engineer
Liaises with: Engineers
Review date: April 2018
The position of Civil Engineer exists to provide technical support to the Civil Business Unit by undertaking civil engineering consulting tasks from the definition of client requirements, task planning, monitoring and control of scope;
1. Technical Expertise and
Quality of Work
• Provide specialist input into multi-disciplinary project teams.
• Accountability and responsibility for the delivery of design
outcomes for projects.
• Maintain a knowledge and understanding of trends in civil
engineering design, project management and contract
• Undertake engineering tasks to ensure a high level of accuracy and
efficiency according to the company standards of operation.
• Adhere to company guidelines for task management to ensure
works are undertaken and services delivered to the highest possible
• Ensure all aspects of the quality management system are followed.
• Monitor project efficiency by reviewing performance against budget
and implement actions to ensure targets are met.
• Ensure cost effective solutions are achieved by providing technical
input into and review of outputs.
• Undertake works inspections to confirm compliance with technical
standards and design intent.
• Perform contract administration tasks as the Superintendents
Representative to the contract.
2. Internal Relationships
• Promote effective communication across the business unit,
including handovers during periods of absence.
• Liaise closely with members of the Civil Engineering Business Unit
• Attend meetings and actively participate in decision making as a
member of the business unit.
• Communicate in an effective and professional manner, both verbal
3. Client Relationships
• Build and maintain close relationships with clients, in association
with the Senior Civil Engineer.
• Attend meetings and provide professional advice as required.
• Provide excellence in customer service to ensure client expectations
• Demonstrate a genuine interest towards outcomes and
commitment to ensuring customer objectives are balanced with
acceptable technical standards and commercial outcomes.
4. Continuous Improvement • Attend conferences and events as required.
• Participate in training to assist with professional development
• Identify training needs of the civil business unit team.
5. Business Development
• Maintain a profile in the industry by participation at relevant events
and involvement on committees that will assist with business
growth and exposure.
• Identify opportunities and liaise with the Senior Civil Engineer and
the Business Unit.
• Forge relationships with new contacts to increase business and
• Operate within the Northern Australia market as a whole.
6. General • Adhere to the Workplace Health & Safety Policy to ensure a safe environment for all employees by following the guidelines set out in
the Employee Handbook and associated WH&S Policies &
• Protect the interests of FCG in order to limit the Company’s
exposure to public liability and professional indemnity/insurance
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor of Engineering or equivalent
• A minimum of five years experience in civil engineering design, documentation and project management, particularly infrastructure and development
• Experience at a within a multi-disciplined organisation.
• Commitment to and genuine interest in the provision of excellence in client service.
• Working knowledge of relevant legislation and regulations.
• Organisational and time management skills with the ability to work to timeframes and meet fee budgets.
• Competent in the use of Microsoft Office suite and other relevant software.
• A professional approach towards communication and personal presentation
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Understanding of quality management systems employed in an engineering practice